Be a part of the team!Interested in working at the beautiful Japanese gardens? Please send your resume with a cover letter to email@example.com.
Job title: FACILITIES ASSISTANT-JANITOR
Reports to: HEAD OF FACILTIES MAINTENANCE
Maintaining the facilities to ensure a clean environment for guest and employee use.
Duties and responsibilities
The following duties and responsibilities are to be completed on a daily/weekly basis:
- Sweep and mop restroom floors, Cultural Events Center, Lower House, and offices
- Clean toilets and urinals in all restrooms daily
- Wipe down mirrors in all restrooms daily
- Restock paper products in restrooms daily
- Empty trash cans in all restrooms, gift shop, and offices daily
- Vacuum Gift Shop floor daily
- Clean windows in all buildings weekly
- Dust all buildings weekly
- Pick up trash and garbage laying around the gardens, grounds, and parking lot daily
- Launder events linens as needed
- Pick up Bento lunches for groups as needed
- Any other duties which may arise during the course of the work day
This position does not require any prior experience.
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language.
- Able to work with little, or no, supervision.
- Ability to plan and organize your daily activities.
- Must be able to work weekends and holidays.
- Must possess a valid California Driverís License and insurance.
This position requires working weekdays, weekends, and occasional evenings; work in extreme temperatures depending on the season; working indoors and outdoors; and, interacting with guests and other employees.
This position requires constant crouching, overhead work, kneeling, reaching, standing, and walking up hills, and climbing steps and ladders unassisted. You must be able to lift and carry up to 20 lbs. unassisted.
Monday-Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Or, combination thereof.
Part-Time, Non-Exempt Who we are:
Hakone Gardens and Estate is a public Japanese tea garden in Saratoga, California, first conceived in 1915. This authentic Japanese garden, which incorporates Bay Area flora and fauna, includes historic Japanese structures such as tea huts, a bamboo forest, and koi pond, among other features. It represents a long tradition of Japanese-style garden artistry, creating an experience to inspire and educate individuals and the surrounding community. Today, the Hakone Foundation, including an active Board of Trustees and professional staff, operates the gardens, welcoming the public to engage with this unique cultural resource. We offer daily entry to the gardens & estate, which includes a small gift shop, an information center, spaces to enjoy tea and snacks, an art gallery, on-going classes, volunteer opportunities, and more. Additionally, we provide rentals for those hosting private events, ranging from corporate retreats to weddings and celebrations of life. The team values partnering with like-minded people and organizations to support this historic garden and its structures, while maintaining a cultural identity that builds a sense of meaning for all who visit.